Posted by: stgeorgesfc | March 7, 2011

Nitilfu kontra Pieta

BRMLA_VS Hin: 2.00 pm 

Data: 7 ta Marzu

Post: V. Tedesco (Hamrun)

Skor: 2 – 3

St George’s suffered a severe setback in their fight for promotion when they were beaten 3-2 by Pietà Hotspurs at the Ħamrun ground. 

Despite winning by such a narrow margin Pietà deserved their victory. With Robson Luis Bandeira the best player on the field, the Hotspurs were always a cut above the Saints. Bandeira was unlucky though as he got injured late on and had to leave the pitch.

The Hotspurs took the lead after only four minutes when Zach Muscat beat the offside trap and hit low past the Saints’ goalkeeper.

Pietà continued to dictate matters with Bandeira missing the target from just inside the opponents’ box and with Quilin Refalo foiled by keeper Thomas Galea following a corner.

St George’s had their first shot at goal on 22 minutes when an Anthony Bonello header was saved by Kersten Vella, the Pietà stand-in keeper who was deputising for Miguel Montfort.

Minutes later, Jonathan Ruiz should have done better for the Saints when he shot wide from a good position.

But the Saints equalised on the half-hour mark from a penalty, awarded for a foul on Glenn Bonello who picked himself up to draw the teams level from the spot.

Pietà held the initiative but seven minutes into the second half St George’s won a second penalty, this time a Glenn Bonello shot hit Ryan Mifsud’s arm in the Pietà box. Bonello, again, had the better of the keeper to put the Saints 2-1 up.

However, that lead only lasted five minutes as Muscat was on the right spot to slot home a deserved Pietà equaliser after Bandeira had rounded a couple of defenders, including the goalkeeper.

Pietà regained the upperhand and on 60 minutes, Bandeira and Owuo combined perfectly to release Refalo who beat Galea hands down.

The Hotspurs were now in full command with the Saints lacking ideas and cohesion. The only real chance they had to draw level came late in the match but Vella did well to keep out Ruiz’s shot.

The Saints finished the game with 10 men after captain Ema-nuel Sevasta was sent off for a second yellow card.

Pietà: K. Vella, D. Owuo, R. Mifsud (K. Fedele), B. Sciberras, Q. Refalo, R. Bandeira (D. Camilleri), S. Grech, Z. Muscat, C. Grech, D. Mifsud, I. Grech.

St George’s: T. Galea, A. Bonello, M. Milutinovic, E. Sevasta, L. Agius, G. Inguanez (D. Zarb), M. Barbara, J. Ruiz (N. Caruana), G. Bonello, L. Stivala, T. Farrugia.

Man of the match: Robson Luis Bandeira (Pietà).

Referee: Fyodor Zammit.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: