Posted by: stgeorgesfc | October 13, 2010

Nigu eliminati min-KO ta l-Ewwel Divizjoni

BRMLA_VS Hin: 4.00 pm  

Data: 17 ta Ottubru

Post: V. Tedesco (Hamrun)

Skor: 1-3

Pieta Hotspurs produced a superb second-half display to come from behind and beat St George’s at the Tedesco Stadium, yesterday.

Now, Pieta will fight it out against Dingli Swallows in the remaining Group Two qualifier, a tie that was originally scheduled for October 9 but postponed by the Malta FA. The winner will play Group One leaders Lija Athletic in the semi-final.

St George’s did well in the first half but they were outplayed after the break. The likes of Zach Muscat, who scored a brace, Juergen Pisani and Dominic Mifsud came to the fore for the Hotspurs to keep their team in the reckoning.

Pieta surged forward in attack from the word go but in so doing they were leaving gaps behind in defence. After only two minutes a Muscat shot was stopped by Ryan Cilia.

With Joe Grech’s side vying for an early lead, it was St George’s who struck first on six minutes. Mark Barbara received a perfect ball from Gary Inguanez and hit the ball sweetly into the net after beating his direct marker.

Four minutes later, Joey Falzon’s side could have added a second.

Barbara and Inguanez combined perfectly to carve an opening inside the Pieta defence, the ball rolled into the path of Glenn Bonello whose shot was saved in style by Miguel Montfort.

There was a lull in action play after that but a revitalised Pieta equalised five minutes from the restart when Zach Mifsud bundled the ball home despite being chased by defender Emmanuel Sevasta.

Pieta could have added a second soon after when Pisani sprinted down the right flank and and delivered a cross for Dominic Mifsud whose header finished just wide.

Pisani again brought the best out of the Saints goalkeeper and then Pieta managed to turn the tables in their favour thanks to Muscat again, this time heading home a Cleavon Cassar cross.

Nathan Caruana saved St George’s from conceding a third goal on 70 minutes when Pisani’s ball looked set to reach the un-marked Muscat but the Saints defender intercepted in time.

But a third goal was looming. This came 16 minutes from time when Muscat was brought down by Cilia as he looked odds on to score. Sheldon Grech made no mistake from the spot.

Pieta: M. Montfort, C. Spiteri (L. Mallia), R. Mifsud, G. Busuttil, S. Grech, C. Cassar, J. Pisani (T. Agius), D. Mifsud, I. Grech (K. Fedele), D. Camilleri, Z. Muscat.

St George’s: R. Cilia, C. Grech, T. Farrugia (L. Stivala), N. Caruana, E. Sevasta, B. Fenech, A. Bonello (G. Previ), D. Zarb, G. Inguanez, G. Bonello, M. Barbara (J. Dalli).

Referee: Esther Azzopardi.



  1. ejja ha nilabu hafna hafna u hafna ahjar bluesss!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: